Wouldn’t it be great if we could unlock the entire potential of our mind? The movie claims that we only use 20% of our mind at any given time. I’m sure that I’m even less than that most days! But just imagine if you could take a pill that opened up the rest of the 80% and suddenly you were on top of your A-game. I mean REALLY on top. Would you do it? Damn right you would! Don’t lie. But what if there was a downside? Screw that… give me total clarity any day!
I loved the premise of the movie. Maybe I identified a little too much with the struggling writer who has written exactly… umm… nothing… of his book that he somehow already received an advance for. Yeah, tell me how that happens! Unless you’re Stephen King or someone like that, you’re not going to get an advance for a book based on some mumble jumble floating around in your head. But it’s Hollywood, so that’s fine. Moving on. Back to the clarity thing. It would be fantastic to have that total clarity of mind, and ability to focus on anything. I’d love to be able to sit down and write half the stuff that’s locked on my head! Learn another language within a few hours? Sign me up! Not to mention the confidence boost that I normally only find at the bottom of a bottle of Captain Morgan… Sounds too good to be true. Then again, that’s kinda the plot of the movie, isn’t it?
I don’t feel like ruining anything, so I’m just going to leave it at that. I will say that I’m sure that the ladies will enjoy Bradley Cooper almost as much as I enjoyed Abbie Cornish… who I didn’t even realize is the same girl I keep admiring from the Sucker Punch trailers! Small world. I wish that she had a little more screen time, but hey… the movie wasn’t really about her.
The only thing that didn’t really sit well with me in this movie was a visual effect the director used where Bradley Cooper’s character would sort of “flash forward” through his day… It made my stomach a little queasy. Maybe that was the reaction he was going for? I don’t know… but I didn’t care much for it.
Oh, and De Niro was in the movie too, so how bad could it be? I don’t think that you need to necessarily rush out and see it in the theatre, but it’s well worth picking up when it comes out on video.