Upgraded iPhone OS
It’s been awhile since I’ve checked for updates for my iPhone 3GS. I had completely forgotten that a couple of months ago Apple released a brand new OS for my iPhone. So I let it do its thing, and waited to see what would happen…
I have to say that OS 4 is pretty slick. As I’m typing this, my iPhone is downloading a minor upgrade to OS 4.02, so hopefully it survives that with flying colours. There is an entire list of improvements in OS 4, but here are some of the things that I like.
- I can zoom with my camera phone now. I never understood why I couldn’t do that before, but with the new Operating System, zooming is as simple as the “spread your finger and thumb” movement on the screen.
- Character count in txt messaging. Maybe this doesn’t mean much to most people, but sometimes I send a tweet with my txt, rather than with a Twitter client. Before, I had a guess how many characters I had typed. Not anymore!
- Spell check in txt messaging. Gotta love those little red lines under my words.
- Unified inbox. This is a HUGE improvement for me. I’m used to having everything dumped into one Gmail address, which is fine for checking mail, but got to be cumbersome on the iPhone when it came time to replying. Now I can separate my email addresses and have the mail come into different inboxes, or into a single unified one. Believe me, it’s nice.
- Threaded email messages. I’m still getting used to this. I’m a little old fashioned when it comes to how I like my email displayed. Sometimes there is a single message within a thread that I want to keep… I still think I prefer non-threaded email, but I have to admit, I haven’t disabled this feature. I’m still working on getting used to it.
- Multitasking apps. From what I read this isn’t true multitasking, but it still feels like it. Double click the button and a little window appears where you can see what it running, like the task manager in Windows. You can even close applications that way.
There’s a bunch of stuff under the hood, but those are the things that I actually use. I will have to say… my iPhone did start to act a little weird in the days after I upgraded the OS. There was one point that I thought that it had locked up solid, and I really wasn’t sure how to unlock it, but after a couple of minutes it seemed to reboot itself.
One very annoying feature of the new OS… My phone no longer charges when I dock it with the nice little radio that I was given for Christmas! I know that Apple wants you to use their own hardware for charging, but this really pisses me off! It was working before in that radio (There was a second radio that it never did charge in, although my Nano would charge just fine), but after the OS upgrade… nope. It obviously still plays, but the charging function is disabled now. Thanks Apple… I appreciate that…